London Colney’s promotion push halted after Biggleswade stalemate
- Credit: Archant
London Colney saw their promotion charge held up as they fought to a 0-0 draw at home to Biggleswade United.
Their cause was not helped with Dan Power being given his marching orders in the second half for two bookable offences and captain Danny Fitzgerald leaving before the break with a suspected broken nose.
Prior to the sending-off Colney had done everything but score.
Lee Close sent two efforts just the wrong side of the woodwork before Lee Armitt and Greg Shaw went closer still with shots into the side-netting that had some in Cotlandswick celebrating a goal.
Armitt was denied by Biggleswade keeper Tom Wyant before both he and Close failed to get on the end of a great cross by Russell Gallagher which fizzed across the face of goal
You may also want to watch:
Right on the stroke off half time Armitt struck the post with a low drive although the referee had already blown for a foul.
Wyant remained the busier of the two goalkeepers in the second period, saving from Spencer Clarke-Mardel and Jack Woods.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 7 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 8 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 9 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
Woods had another effort blocked before Power’s dismissal, which threatened to change the dynamic of the game.
Tom Cookman saw his hard shot saved by Jack Smith whilst Adam Drakulic fired in a effort that whizzed past the far post.
The Blueboys still had chances with Wyant managing to stop a Charlie Smith free-kick at the second attempt and then a Louis Bircham shot.
The draw leaves Colney in third place in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division, nine points behind leaders Hoddesdon Town, although they do have three games in hand.
FC Broxbourne Borough visit Cotlandswick tonight (Tuesday) before the Blueboys head to Stotfold’s Roker Park on Saturday.