London Colney’s FA Vase dream stalls at Newport Pagnell

Tom Gowans missed out with illness as London Colney exited the FA Vase. Picture: MARK LONG

Tom Gowans missed out with illness as London Colney exited the FA Vase. Picture: MARK LONG - Credit: Mark Long

London Colney exited this year’s FA Vase with a 3-1 defeat away to Newport Pagnell Town of the United Counties League Premier Division.

Jack Woods grabbed the only goal for the Blueboys, cancelling out a Dominic Lawless effort in the first half.

But two strikes inside the last 17 minutes of the second half from Kelvin Osei-Addo, on his debut, and Darryl Smith ended their hopes of a trip to Wembley.

They had travelled to Willen Road minus goalkeeper Tom Gowans (sick), Dan Power (work), James Lawrence (injured) and Jon Clements (suspended) and lost Chris Cutler late on, always a victim of illness.

Despite that Colney actually started well with Woods and Archie McClelland both shooting wide.

However, it was the hosts who took the lead nine minutes in, Lawless beating Sean Fryer to a long through-ball and slotting home from a tight angle.

Colney continued to create chances and levelled thanks to a curling free-kick which went in off the post.

Most Read

The Blueboys did suffer a setback when Spencer Clarke-Mardel went down after a challenge and had to be replaced by Alfie Osborne and Lawless came close to putting the Swans back in front with a shot that hit the foot of the post.

In the second half it was Newport Pagnell creating the chances and Lawless had a few efforts on goal which were well blocked by Shaun Murphy, Ricky Brennan and Callum Dudrenec in turn.

And they eventually went in front with a quick counter attack giving substitute Osei-Addo his dream start in Newport colours.

London Colney did press and could have scored an equaliser late on when a cross from Dave Parkinson flashed across the six-yard box but Roy Bryon and Ashley Morrisey couldn’t supply the finish.

And Town completed their win in injury time, Smith getting the finish from a Lawless pull-back.

Newport Pagnell will now face Peterborough Sports in the fourth round.

Next up for London Colney is a home tie in Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division against St Margaretsbury on Saturday.

Back at Cotlandswick London Colney Reserves won 4-0 against Farnham Town Reserves with two goals from Sam Robins and one each from Dan Burrows and Josh Galloway.