London Colney put four past Hadley
- Credit: Archant
COLNEY overturned a one-goal deficit to extend their unbeaten streak to six games with a 4-2 win over Hadley.
Matt Newman grabbed a first half brace and Danny Fitzgerald added another before the break. Hadley pulled a goal back to set up a tense conclusion but Newman completed his hat-trick to seal the points.
Ryan Thompson’s team went into the game six places ahead of Hadley, having not lost since a 3-0 loss to league champions Dunstable Town on March 21.
It was Hadley, however, who took the lead. Alexis Nicholas twisted and turned his way into Colney’s box and laid the ball off for Ivan Machedo to tap home from four yards after 23 minutes.
The Blueboys tried to respond immediately but Russell Gallagher’s shot was off-target. They didn’t have to wait long though as seven minutes before half time the floodgates opened momentarily.
Newman began the scoring, netting from the penalty spot after being hauled down. And Colney’s top scorer made it two soon after. A Hadley defender slipped trying to clear Fitzgerald’s ball into the box and Newman reacted fastest before chipping the ball over the advancing Russell Garland.
Fitzgerald got the goal he deserved in the 43rd minute as he pounced on a loose ball inside the box before unleashing an unstoppable drive.
- 1 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 4 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 5 Where and when can you see Santa's float in Harpenden?
- 6 St Albans MP unveils new state-of-the art teaching centre as part of multi-million pound Oaklands College redevelopment
- 7 Saints get another National League South rival after draw for FA Trophy
- 8 Sing out for Christmas with Clarence Park carol service
- 9 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 10 1,000 new homes planned next to village
The second half was an end to end affair. Newham came close to netting Colney’s fourth after Hadley’s Ben Luck had flashed a low cross across the face of goal that was begging to be capitalised on.
On the hour mark Hadley reduced arrears when Luck’s low shot beat Mark Whittamore but not the post. Nicholas followed up to score from close range.
Whittamore redeemed himself as Hadley surged for an equaliser as he produced a diving one-handed save to deny Nicholas.
The teams traded barbs for the remainder of the game until Newman scored his 24th goal of the season. Fitzgerald cut out a poor clearance before setting up Gallagher. His shot was saved but Newman followed up to put the game beyond Hadley’s reach.
• London Colney reserves beat Langford 4-2 and the A-Team won 5-1 away to Barmond FC.