London Colney pick up very differing results as pre-season continues
- Credit: Archant
London Colney’s pre-season continued with very differing results.
They started the week with a thumping 5-0 win over Aylesbury United, a team from the Southern League Division One Central, a division higher than the Blueboys.
But that was followed up by a 1-0 reverse to Southall, who ply their trade in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One, a level lower.
Archie McClelland is taking full advantage of his promotion from the reserves and the young striker was at the double on Thursday to put Colney 2-0 ahead.
He swept in a Jack Woods cross for number one and then had a simple tap-in following good work by Spencer Clarke-Mardel.
You may also want to watch:
Jon Clements made it 3-0 after the break, getting on the end of a Russell Gallagher through ball, who then went on to make it four with arguably the goal of the game, finishing off from 20 yards after a dazzling run.
Gallagher then returned to his assisting role, setting up Ashley Morrison for the fifth.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
It was a different story two days later though as the Blueboys failed to take advantage of a number of chances.
McClelland, Che Kin To, Wayne Harvey and Clarke-Mardel all had chances before Southall took the lead.
Shaber Gulmohammed got the goal with 10 minutes to go, slamming the ball beyond Reece Grundy in the Colney goal.
There was still time for a glorious chance to equalise but Clarke-Mardel fired his late penalty straight down the middle and Michael Power-Simpson was able to block.
They completed a busy seven days with a 1-1 draw at home to Enfield Borough.