London Colney move clear at top of table

London Colney celebrate Jon Clements (middle) opening goal

London Colney celebrate Jon Clements (middle) opening goal - Credit: Archant

London Colney moved five points clear at the top of the SSML Premier with victory at Roker Park on Saturday.

With second-place Hertford Town’s surprise home defeat at the hands of Biggleswade United, Jon Clements brace of goals for Colney sent them further clear at the summit ahead of their home match against fourth-place Hoddesdon Town this weekend.

Saturday was the third time this season London Colney had travelled the short distance up the A1 to Stotfold and with the other two visits resulting in cup victories over Stotfold and Baldock Town, the Eagles’ tenants, respectively this time the Blueboys returned with all three points in a league win.

There were chances for both sides before Colney took the lead, with their keeper Tom Gowans having to make a brilliant save by pushing around the far post a cracking low drive from Stotfold’s Mark Ellis.

On 17 minutes the deadlock was broken when Danny Fitzgerald slipped the ball through for Clements to latch on and after a couple of close touches he promptly drilled the ball low past Fallon and into the bottom left corner to make it 1-0.

Stotfold tried to hit back and firstly a effort from Ben L’ Honore was well saved by Gowans and the follow-up shot from Ashley Fitton was cleared off the line by Gregg Douglas.

In the 24th minute the Blueboys increased their lead when a long ball upfield from Archie McClelland saw the Stotfold defence get into a tangle with keeper Matt Fallon kick straight into the back of his own defender, Jordan Stewart, from which the ball spun up in the air and was heading towards the Stotfold goal before Clements headed it into the goal.

Most Read

Stotfold tried to hit back and firstly Ashley Fitton shot wide while L’ Honore had another effort go close.

London Colney also had other chances including Spencer Clarke-Mardel’s goalbound effort blocked by Matt Fallon but two goals were enough as they meant all three points went the way of the Bluebirds.