London Colney march on in FA Vase with Holmer Green win

Dan Power sends a header towards goal. Picture: MARK LONG

Dan Power sends a header towards goal. Picture: MARK LONG - Credit: Archant

Greg Shaw scored twice as London Colney made it into the third round of the FA Vase with a 3-0 win over Holmer Green at Cotlandswick.

Shaw set the Blueboys on their way with a penalty given for handball, for which Holmer green’s Ben Bradley was sent off, before adding a third late on.

Dave Parkinson added the other goal.

And while it wasn’t as comfortable as it sounded, the win sets up a trip to Newport Pagnell Town in December.

Holmer Green started brightly and it was only some stout defending that kept them at bay.

But out of the blue the match changed in an instant.

A counter attack for Colney saw Archie McClelland play the ball inside to Spencer Clarke-Mardel whose stinging shot was blocked by the arm of Bradley.

Most Read

The referee saw this as deliberate and sent the Green man off before Shaw sent the keeper the wrong way.

Sam Butcher denied McClelland a second with a smart save at the foot of his right-hand post but it was only a temporary reprieve as Parkinson soon scored with a beauty.

He picked up the ball out on the right wing and, after beating a defender, he cut in towards the box and unleashed a curling shot into the top corner of the net.

Holmer Green tried to hit back with two efforts from Ben Hodges, one which was saved by Tom Gowans and the other blocked by Gregg Douglas.

But at the other end Jon Clements went even closer with a shot that crashed back off the crossbar.

Both sides continued to create opportunities but it was the Blueboys who completed their win with another great goal, Shaw belting one in from 30 yards.

They had chances for a fourth through Clements, Clarke-Mardel and Ashley Morrissey but three was more than enough.

Next up for the Blueboys is a home tie against Biggleswade FC in the League Challenge Trophy tomorrow (Tuesday) before they head to Tring Athletic in the league on Saturday.

The reserves won 1-0 away to Wormley Rovers in the Herts Intermediate Cup with Cain Davey scoring and the Blues beat Caddington 5-2 with two goals from Ryan Houghton and one each for Jack Blackman, George Dale and Omar Ech-Chadli.