London Colney lose out to Hadley
- Credit: Archant
London Colney endured a tough day on Saturday when they lost 1-0 away to Hadley.
Heading into the game, the Blueboys had not lost to their hosts in six years but it took a goal-line clearance from Bobby Armstrong in the early stages to keep the scores level.
At the other end, Armstrong almost set up Matt Newman but Hadley’s goalkeeper, Tom Le Tissier, plucked the ball off the striker’s head.
The home team’s team shot-stopper then had to be alert to stop his captain turning the ball into his own net as he pushed the goalbound attempted clearance wide. His opposite number, Charlie May, also showed up his skills, saving a shot by Hadley’s Dan Millard.
London Colney could, and perhaps should, have taken the lead early in the second half. Matt Newman made a good run towards goal and then found Jimmy Hartley with a neat pass but his shot flew over the crossbar.
For the majority of the second half the goalkeepers were on top with May saving from Millard and Jordan Watson while Le Tissier denied Shaun Murphy.
With the game seemingly heading for a goalless stalemate, Kieran Smith found a yard of space and blasted the ball past May to secure all three points for Hadley.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 5 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 6 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
London Colney are next in action on Thursday at home to Cockfosters (7.45pm kick-off) and then on Saturday they face local rivals Colney Heath at Cotlandswick (3pm kick-off).
• London Colney Reserves drew 1-1 away to Kent Athletic with a goal from Josh Galloway. London Colney Blues won 2-1 against Harpenden Rovers thanks to goals from Johnny Armitt and Eamon Rogers.