London Colney lose out to Hadley
- Credit: Archant
London Colney endured a tough day on Saturday when they lost 1-0 away to Hadley.
Heading into the game, the Blueboys had not lost to their hosts in six years but it took a goal-line clearance from Bobby Armstrong in the early stages to keep the scores level.
At the other end, Armstrong almost set up Matt Newman but Hadley’s goalkeeper, Tom Le Tissier, plucked the ball off the striker’s head.
The home team’s team shot-stopper then had to be alert to stop his captain turning the ball into his own net as he pushed the goalbound attempted clearance wide. His opposite number, Charlie May, also showed up his skills, saving a shot by Hadley’s Dan Millard.
London Colney could, and perhaps should, have taken the lead early in the second half. Matt Newman made a good run towards goal and then found Jimmy Hartley with a neat pass but his shot flew over the crossbar.
You may also want to watch:
For the majority of the second half the goalkeepers were on top with May saving from Millard and Jordan Watson while Le Tissier denied Shaun Murphy.
With the game seemingly heading for a goalless stalemate, Kieran Smith found a yard of space and blasted the ball past May to secure all three points for Hadley.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
London Colney are next in action on Thursday at home to Cockfosters (7.45pm kick-off) and then on Saturday they face local rivals Colney Heath at Cotlandswick (3pm kick-off).
• London Colney Reserves drew 1-1 away to Kent Athletic with a goal from Josh Galloway. London Colney Blues won 2-1 against Harpenden Rovers thanks to goals from Johnny Armitt and Eamon Rogers.