London Colney light up Hanwell Town
AWAY to Hanwell Town on Tuesday evening, London Colney lit up their visitors’ ground by fixing the floodlights.
Several of the Blueboys’ committee went to look at the Hanwell floodlights after some of them had not come on prior to half-time. After a long interval the lights began to work again.
On the pitch, Hanwell had started brightly with Charlie Baverstock heading wide after a good cross from Louis Clough, who minutes later sent a curling shot over.
London Colney forced a corner which Kenny Hull curled in and Jimmy Warner’s low drive was well held by keeper Kieran Jimmy.
The Blueboys took the lead when a long pass from Hull found Matt Newman racing into the box and as Jimmy came off his line Newman lobbed him to score.
You may also want to watch:
Shaw had a free-kick go wide and Newman was nearly in again, but this time Jimmy cut the danger out.
Next Warner made a great surging run into the six-yard box, but Oliver Duffy made a timely clearance.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 6 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets
Newman then picked up a loose ball 25 yards out and his stunning shot on the turn went just wide.
In the second half, with the lights now working, Newman again was nearly in with the home team’s keeper coming out to clear.
For Hanwell, Terry Smith had a shot pushed over the bar by Whittamore and then Antony Rowlands had an effort go close, while a swirling shot from Lewis Ochua whistled past Whittamore’s left post with him rooted to his line.
Back at the other end Shaw and Newman combined to set up Gallagher whose firm strike was held by Jimmy, who then denied Shaw.
Gallagher then raced clear into the box, but his shot went over and Newman’s attempted lob was saved.
Hanwell’s Smith had two good strikes at goal, but he found Whittamore in fine form as he pulled off two fine saves for the Blueboys as they picked up three points.