London Colney light up Hanwell Town
AWAY to Hanwell Town on Tuesday evening, London Colney lit up their visitors’ ground by fixing the floodlights.
Several of the Blueboys’ committee went to look at the Hanwell floodlights after some of them had not come on prior to half-time. After a long interval the lights began to work again.
On the pitch, Hanwell had started brightly with Charlie Baverstock heading wide after a good cross from Louis Clough, who minutes later sent a curling shot over.
London Colney forced a corner which Kenny Hull curled in and Jimmy Warner’s low drive was well held by keeper Kieran Jimmy.
The Blueboys took the lead when a long pass from Hull found Matt Newman racing into the box and as Jimmy came off his line Newman lobbed him to score.
You may also want to watch:
Shaw had a free-kick go wide and Newman was nearly in again, but this time Jimmy cut the danger out.
Next Warner made a great surging run into the six-yard box, but Oliver Duffy made a timely clearance.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Newman then picked up a loose ball 25 yards out and his stunning shot on the turn went just wide.
In the second half, with the lights now working, Newman again was nearly in with the home team’s keeper coming out to clear.
For Hanwell, Terry Smith had a shot pushed over the bar by Whittamore and then Antony Rowlands had an effort go close, while a swirling shot from Lewis Ochua whistled past Whittamore’s left post with him rooted to his line.
Back at the other end Shaw and Newman combined to set up Gallagher whose firm strike was held by Jimmy, who then denied Shaw.
Gallagher then raced clear into the box, but his shot went over and Newman’s attempted lob was saved.
Hanwell’s Smith had two good strikes at goal, but he found Whittamore in fine form as he pulled off two fine saves for the Blueboys as they picked up three points.