London Colney left Green with envy
Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division London Colney 1 Holmer Green 4 A LATE strike from Tony Caines was mere consolation as London Colney lost their crucial clash at home to Holmer Green in the Premier Division. The Blueboys started brightly wit
Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division
London Colney 1 Holmer Green 4
A LATE strike from Tony Caines was mere consolation as London Colney lost their crucial clash at home to Holmer Green in the Premier Division.
The Blueboys started brightly with a Danny McCafferty free kick causing problems and a fine run from Danny Butcher halted by good block from Holmer Green defender James Williams.
You may also want to watch:
Colney goalkeeper Stuart McHale made two fine saves before the Blueboys thought they had taken an invaluable lead. A goalbound Caines header from a McCafferty free kick was prodded home by Dave Corran only for the assistant referee to raise his flag against the former Sandridge player.
Colney continued to press in the run up to half time and Sam Mitchell fired a shot over the top before Caines had an effort saved.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
Holmer Green took just two minutes of play in the second half to take the lead. Tom Davies cut in from the right and found Simon Williams who drilled a fine shot with enough power to nestle in the net despite an outstretched hand from McHale. The vital second followed just three minutes later when Davies cracked home an unstoppable shot giving McHale no chance.
Colney substitute Dave Townsend inspired a response, with Caines and McCafferty going close before Holmer Green added a third. Jay Gould took the ball off Corran and found Luke Byrne who calmly tucked the ball home.
Colney were denied a goal for the second time when Caines was ruled offside after striking home the rebound from a dangerous McCafferty free kick.
The visitors proved it was not Colney's day when Williams crossed and Daniel Craggs flicked in the fourth goal.
Colney picked up a deserved consolation late on when the hard working Caines powered home a header from a Townsend free kick.
London Colney: McHale, Benning, McCafferty, Murphy, Paradise, Butcher (Townsend), Davey, Mitchell (Doolan), Corran, Caines, Haynes (White).