London Colney knocked out of Premier Division Cup

FOR the second week running London Colney lost to Tring Athletic this time in the SSML Premier Division Cup with Tring getting the luck again in that they were gifted an own goal which gave them a 1-0 lead and then went on to win 3-1.

With Colney hit by injuries and suspensions to their front runners they put Josh Galloway, from the reserves, up front and he played most of the match and did not go off until late on due to injury.

His time on the pitch saw him give his all with non stop running.

Early on in the game a Dave Keenleyside free-kick was curled in and Tring’s Jarvis played the ball back to his keeper Underwood but although the ball crossed the line nothing was given, not even for a backpass.

Mark Whittamore had to be on his toes as he pushed around the post a stinging shot from Jack Thompson and although Tring found the back of the net from the corner it was disallowed for a foul on Whittamore.

At the other end The Blueboys won a corner which saw Callum Wright and Keenleyside work a short corner routine and as the latter tried to hit the ball into the box Chris Salmon handled it.

From the resulting free-kick, Keenleyside curled in the ball which skimmed across the six yard box, but nobody was there to turn the ball home.

Most Read

A Wright corner found Knightley, but his cracking strike was blocked and although the Blueboys put pressure on the Tring back four they couldn’t find a breakthrough.

Tring also were looking for a breakthrough, but they found Kenny Hull, with some timely tackles, and Shaun Murphy, with a diving header in clearing the ball, in good form.

Early in the second half Tring broke the deadlock.

Tony Fields crossed the ball low over from the right, it struck Murphy on the ankle and spun past a stranded Whittamore to give Tring a 1-0 lead.

Soon the visitors went 2-0 up after Kay Brown was tripped inside the box by Mark Paradise and from the resulting spot kick Fields tucked the ball away past Whittamore.

The Blueboys nearly hit back quickly when a curling free-kick from Keenleyside saw Galloway get in a header which went just wide.

Tring then made it 3-0 when Jack Thompson’s right wing cross was headed home by Brown in the 65th minute.

Wright then had a shot blocked and Knightley went close with a header following a Keenleyside cross.

After some pressure the Bleboys finally got the goal they deserved when in the final minute Russell Gallagher was fouled in the box.

Keenleyside converted into the bottom right corner to make the final score 3-1.

Although the Blueboys lost they did perform well in the match as a whole.