London Colney extend their lead at the top
Newman and Hutchinson score in 2-0 win over Cockfosters
SSML Division One
London Colney 2
TABLE-TOPPERS London Colney were made to work hard to pick up all three points at Cockfosters on Tuesday evening.
You may also want to watch:
Second half goals from top scorer Matt Newman and Bruce Hutchinson handed Ryan Thompson’s in-form Blueboys the win and extended their lead at the top of the table to 11 points.
The home side enjoyed the better of the first half and put the Blueboys defence – expertly marshalled by Andy Saul – under pressure.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
John Christian spurned three chances to put the home side ahead, twice firing wide and once denied by Blueboys goalkeeper Mark Whittamore.
Tom Jansons then hit a volley which Whittamore had to tip over the crossbar and Dean Adams fired over the target after a purposeful run.
The Blueboys came out after the break the brighter of the two sides with Danny Fitzgerald seeing his drive blocked and Trevor Stevens firing over the bar from the rebound.
The opening goal came in the 59th minute when a delightful pass forward from Hutchinson sent Newman clear of the Cockfosters defence and he drilled the ball low past Ross from inside the penalty area.
The game was put to bed when Hutchinson latched onto Mark Paradise’s long clearance, and he shrugged off the challenge of a defender before firing into the bottom corner of Ross’s goal to seal another three points for the Cotlandswick outfit.
Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Sutton (Fitzgerald), Knightley, Stevens, Newman (Clarke), Warner (Wilkinson), Hutchinson.