London Colney extend their lead at the top
Newman and Hutchinson score in 2-0 win over Cockfosters
SSML Division One
London Colney 2
TABLE-TOPPERS London Colney were made to work hard to pick up all three points at Cockfosters on Tuesday evening.
You may also want to watch:
Second half goals from top scorer Matt Newman and Bruce Hutchinson handed Ryan Thompson’s in-form Blueboys the win and extended their lead at the top of the table to 11 points.
The home side enjoyed the better of the first half and put the Blueboys defence – expertly marshalled by Andy Saul – under pressure.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
John Christian spurned three chances to put the home side ahead, twice firing wide and once denied by Blueboys goalkeeper Mark Whittamore.
Tom Jansons then hit a volley which Whittamore had to tip over the crossbar and Dean Adams fired over the target after a purposeful run.
The Blueboys came out after the break the brighter of the two sides with Danny Fitzgerald seeing his drive blocked and Trevor Stevens firing over the bar from the rebound.
The opening goal came in the 59th minute when a delightful pass forward from Hutchinson sent Newman clear of the Cockfosters defence and he drilled the ball low past Ross from inside the penalty area.
The game was put to bed when Hutchinson latched onto Mark Paradise’s long clearance, and he shrugged off the challenge of a defender before firing into the bottom corner of Ross’s goal to seal another three points for the Cotlandswick outfit.
Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Sutton (Fitzgerald), Knightley, Stevens, Newman (Clarke), Warner (Wilkinson), Hutchinson.