London Colney exit FA Vase

Billy Barnes can't keep Shaw's shot from finding the corner

Billy Barnes can't keep Shaw's shot from finding the corner - Credit: Archant

LONDON Colney continue to search for their first win of the season after a loss to Codicote in the FA Vase.

Paradise challenges Dougherty in the air

Paradise challenges Dougherty in the air - Credit: Archant

Matt Newman and Greg Shaw scored as the Blueboys fought back to earn extra-time against their SSML Division One rivals. Kane Dougherty, however, netted in the first period of extra-time to send Colney out of the cup.

The loss is Ryan Thompson’s side’s sixth of the current campaign, and the second first-round exit of the season having lost to AFC Rushden & Diamonds in August. Things are not much better in the league; they have two points from a possible 15 and sit at the foot of the table.

On Saturday, Colney’s poor run of form saw them fall 2-0 behind to their lower level opposition. Grant Macree netted the first for Codicote, turning a corner into the net at the near post, before Joe Tyler tapped in from close range following a free-kick on the left wing.

Newman started the fight back with his sixth goal of the season. Jimmy Hill’s shot deflected straight into Newman’s path who flicked the ball past Billy Barnes to half the deficit to give Colney hope at half-time.

Early in the second period, Newman played a quick one-two with Shaw but his low effort brushed the far post whilst a long range strike from Dean Thompson went just over the bar.

On 66 minutes the Blueboys drew level when after a long throw in from Hill found Shaw who turned and struck a curling shot into the bottom right hand corner to level arrears.

Most Read

Despite pressure from the hosts, the match then went to extra-time whereupon Kane snatched a third goal for Codicote on the break and just before the end of the first period.

Newman nearly restored parity but his well struck shot was blocked by Barnes.

In the second period of extra-time, the Blueboys kept searching for the equaliser – Shaw was denied by the foot of the post – but Barnes pulled off two great saves to stop the match going to a replay.