London Colney crash out of the FA Cup

LONDON Colney turned in a below-par performance as they crashed out of the FA Cup 2-1 to Harefield United on Saturday.

The Blueboys had a chance early on when the referee waved play on and Matt Newman sped clear, but his effort was blocked as was Jimmy Warner as he followed up.

At the other end keeper Mark Whittamore punched out a dangerous cross, but the ball was not cleared properly and Mo Hashi’s follow-up shot was pushed behind for a corner by Whittamore at his left hand post.

A long ball forward saw Whittamore mis-judge the bounce as he tried to clear just inside the box, but he did get a vital touch that forced Gary James wide where upon he saw his curling effort crash into the side netting.

Harefield then had a quick break which saw Harry Newman sweep over a low cross into the box and James racing in saw his firm low drive blocked by Whittamore’s legs.

Next Harefield’s number two Dave Tilbury, after some good work down the right wing, laid the ball off to Mark Sargeant who saw his effort blocked by Dean Thompson and cleared.

A few minutes into the second hald Gallagher found Dave Keenleyside on the edge of the box and his firm strike flew just over.

Most Read

Later on Keenleyside delivered a fine cross into the box which Joe Hatcher headed clear as Newman and Warner closed in.

For Harefield Hashi saw his low shot flash just past Whittamore’s left hand post.

After good work down the right Dean Parratt cut into the box and his cross-cum-shot was pushed out by Charlie Miller who then had to be on his toes to beat away Keenleyside’s shot.

In the 71st minute Harefield went ahead, Gary Jones pounced on a ball inside the box and drove it past Whittamore into the bottom corner.

To make things worse for The Blueboys they had Warner sent-off after he pushed Hashi following a heavy challenge.

Newman then should have made it 1-1 when Dean Adams found him in the box, but he fired over.

This was to prove costly as Harefield went 2-0 up when Rhys Rabbes fired in.

Adams did pull one back with a header for The Blueboys, but they could not get back on level terms.

Colney have two home league games coming up against AFC Dunstable on Saturday and Tring Athletic on Tuesday night, entry is �6 for adults and �3 for concessions.