London Colney continue unbeaten start to league campaign after Broxbourne victory
- Credit: Archant
London Colney stretched their unbeaten start in the league to nine after a comfortable 3-0 win over FC Broxbourne Borough on Saturday.
Two goals from Greg Shaw plus one from James Ewington, his seventh in three games, puts them in fifth place having won six and drawn three so far this year.
Ewington opened the scoring just before half-time when he turned his marker before drilling into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.
It was no more than the Blueboys had deserved after a first half they had dominated.
A shot from 20 yards by Charlie Smith was just pushed around the post at the last moment by Broxbourne keeper, Adam Seymour.
Twice Stefan Geraldes shot just over the bar and captain Danny Fitzgerald also put one narrowly too high.
But once the goal went in it seemed to calm Colney and shortly after the interval it was 2-0.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 MP condemns government over BBC threat
- 10 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
Tom Smith was brought down in the box and Shaw thumped the penalty into the roof of the net.
Dan Power had an effort blocked as did Ewington, Fitzgerald and Geraldes.
It was only a matter of time though before the third arrived, Shaw beautiful volleying Charlie Smith’s cross home past a stationary Seymour.
The Blueboys will hope to make it 10 when they face London Tigers at home tonight (Tuesday) in a 7.45pm kick-off.