London Colney complete league double over Leverstock Green
- Credit: Archant
London Colney completed the double over Leverstock Green on Saturday with a 2-1 victory.
First-half goals from captain Danny Fitzgerald and Tom Smith have the Blueboys a lead they would not relinquish despite a spirited fightback from the visitors.
Leverstock Green started brightly with Ashley Harewood-Williams having his low drive palmed away by Charlie May and then Jose Figura saw his effort whistle past the post.
The Blueboys responded with a couple of quick attacks and they were rewarded when, following a quick throw in by Martin Collins, Fitzgerald powered in the box and drove the ball past Dan Blacktopp to give Colney the lead.
Russell Gallagher then made a mazey run on goal only to see his shot deflected wide for a corner kick. Martin Collins took the kick and curled into the near post whereupon Blacktopp just managed to gather it at the second attempt.
You may also want to watch:
Play switched to the other end and Imad Abbasi went close with a shot, which forced May to make a smart save down to his left, before Lionel Baguma headed just over minutes later.
The Blueboys again hit back with attacks of their own and firstly Collins sent in a powerful shot that Blacktopp just held onto and Collins setup Jimmy Hill whose fierce low strike was pushed around the post.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 5 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 6 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
From the resulting corner kick, Gallagher curled an in-swinging ball to Tom Smith which he chested into the net.
Leading 2-0 after the interval, Colney were put on the back foot by Leverstock but May pulled off a string of saves to maintain their two-goal cushion.
The hosts pushed for a decisive third goal – Gallagher, Smith and Hill all coming close – but it was Leverstock who scored the next goal, Mark Campbell scoring a penalty, to set up a nervous finish.
However, Ryan Thompson’s side held on to win the game.
London Colney Blues were in action and won 5-3 away against Balmoral Grove in the Stanley Rous Cup with goals from Yande Siwale (two), Eamon Rogers, Samuel Ayo and Omar Ech Chaidli.