London Colney complete league double over Leverstock Green
- Credit: Archant
London Colney completed the double over Leverstock Green on Saturday with a 2-1 victory.
First-half goals from captain Danny Fitzgerald and Tom Smith have the Blueboys a lead they would not relinquish despite a spirited fightback from the visitors.
Leverstock Green started brightly with Ashley Harewood-Williams having his low drive palmed away by Charlie May and then Jose Figura saw his effort whistle past the post.
The Blueboys responded with a couple of quick attacks and they were rewarded when, following a quick throw in by Martin Collins, Fitzgerald powered in the box and drove the ball past Dan Blacktopp to give Colney the lead.
Russell Gallagher then made a mazey run on goal only to see his shot deflected wide for a corner kick. Martin Collins took the kick and curled into the near post whereupon Blacktopp just managed to gather it at the second attempt.
Play switched to the other end and Imad Abbasi went close with a shot, which forced May to make a smart save down to his left, before Lionel Baguma headed just over minutes later.
The Blueboys again hit back with attacks of their own and firstly Collins sent in a powerful shot that Blacktopp just held onto and Collins setup Jimmy Hill whose fierce low strike was pushed around the post.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 3 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 4 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 7 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 8 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 9 St Albans is one of UK's worst locations for hay fever
- 10 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
From the resulting corner kick, Gallagher curled an in-swinging ball to Tom Smith which he chested into the net.
Leading 2-0 after the interval, Colney were put on the back foot by Leverstock but May pulled off a string of saves to maintain their two-goal cushion.
The hosts pushed for a decisive third goal – Gallagher, Smith and Hill all coming close – but it was Leverstock who scored the next goal, Mark Campbell scoring a penalty, to set up a nervous finish.
However, Ryan Thompson’s side held on to win the game.
London Colney Blues were in action and won 5-3 away against Balmoral Grove in the Stanley Rous Cup with goals from Yande Siwale (two), Eamon Rogers, Samuel Ayo and Omar Ech Chaidli.