London calling for young Harpenden star
- Credit: Archant
A member of Harpenden Rugby Club’s ladies section has been called into the London and South East U18 squad – just over a year after taking up the game.
Elizabeth Shermer was encourgaed by a friend to join Harpenden last October, having never played the game.
She is a keen sportswoman, taking part in football, swimming, tennis, rounders and netball among others.
But rugby runs in the family for the Loreto College student, with brother Robert playing in the Fullerians academy.
It was at Harpenden where she met the guiding hand of Gavin Lendon and various coaches who gave her the incentive to carry on.
You may also want to watch:
She says how much she has appreciated the help given to her during her time in rugby.
She said: “It’s all been a bit of a whirlwind so far but I’d like to go further in my sport.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
“It’s great socially and all my family are rugby supporters, which helps.
“Maybe mum was a bit wary to start with but I think she’s much happier now.
“The real tiring side to my life - match days apart - comes in the exercises where we learn the mantra that when making a tackle the harder you go in the better you come out.”
It shows on the pitch with tackling and prowess in the line-out bringing the back row forward to the attention of the representative coaches.