London calling for young Harpenden star
- Credit: Archant
A member of Harpenden Rugby Club’s ladies section has been called into the London and South East U18 squad – just over a year after taking up the game.
Elizabeth Shermer was encourgaed by a friend to join Harpenden last October, having never played the game.
She is a keen sportswoman, taking part in football, swimming, tennis, rounders and netball among others.
But rugby runs in the family for the Loreto College student, with brother Robert playing in the Fullerians academy.
It was at Harpenden where she met the guiding hand of Gavin Lendon and various coaches who gave her the incentive to carry on.
You may also want to watch:
She says how much she has appreciated the help given to her during her time in rugby.
She said: “It’s all been a bit of a whirlwind so far but I’d like to go further in my sport.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
“It’s great socially and all my family are rugby supporters, which helps.
“Maybe mum was a bit wary to start with but I think she’s much happier now.
“The real tiring side to my life - match days apart - comes in the exercises where we learn the mantra that when making a tackle the harder you go in the better you come out.”
It shows on the pitch with tackling and prowess in the line-out bringing the back row forward to the attention of the representative coaches.