London calling for young Harpenden star
- Credit: Archant
A member of Harpenden Rugby Club’s ladies section has been called into the London and South East U18 squad – just over a year after taking up the game.
Elizabeth Shermer was encourgaed by a friend to join Harpenden last October, having never played the game.
She is a keen sportswoman, taking part in football, swimming, tennis, rounders and netball among others.
But rugby runs in the family for the Loreto College student, with brother Robert playing in the Fullerians academy.
It was at Harpenden where she met the guiding hand of Gavin Lendon and various coaches who gave her the incentive to carry on.
She says how much she has appreciated the help given to her during her time in rugby.
She said: “It’s all been a bit of a whirlwind so far but I’d like to go further in my sport.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 3 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 4 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 5 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 6 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 7 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 8 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 9 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 10 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
“It’s great socially and all my family are rugby supporters, which helps.
“Maybe mum was a bit wary to start with but I think she’s much happier now.
“The real tiring side to my life - match days apart - comes in the exercises where we learn the mantra that when making a tackle the harder you go in the better you come out.”
It shows on the pitch with tackling and prowess in the line-out bringing the back row forward to the attention of the representative coaches.