‘Loads of positives’ from pre-season opener
- Credit: Archant
Joint managers James Gray and Graham Golds saw plenty of positives and things to work on following St Albans City’s pre-season loss to Solihull Moors.
The Saints lost 2-0 in their opening friendly in Birmingham on Saturday but with results at this stage of the season being irrelevant, Gray was encouraged by what he saw.
“The game wasn’t about the result; it’s about the way we want to play and giving the players a feel for the ball, their movement and match speed,” he told Saintsnet after the game.
“I thought we played some really good football and there were loads of positives. The result is immaterial but there is plenty to think about as we get the squad into the right shape and formation.”
As well as seeing City’s seven new signings in match action, City also had three trialists - Max Lette Jallow, Taylor Miles and Elliott Buchanan – in action. And more new faces are expecting in Tuesday’s friendly against Dagenham and Redbridge.
“We’ve got another couple of lads coming down,” admitted Gray.
“We still need to strengthen in a couple of areas but the way we finished last season, beating Chesham in the play-off final, the lads have a real togetherness. We don’t want to upset the group and take a backwards step so any player has to be right for us and the club.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
Tuesday’s friendly at Clarence Park kicks off at 7.45pm.