‘Loads of positives’ from pre-season opener
- Credit: Archant
Joint managers James Gray and Graham Golds saw plenty of positives and things to work on following St Albans City’s pre-season loss to Solihull Moors.
The Saints lost 2-0 in their opening friendly in Birmingham on Saturday but with results at this stage of the season being irrelevant, Gray was encouraged by what he saw.
“The game wasn’t about the result; it’s about the way we want to play and giving the players a feel for the ball, their movement and match speed,” he told Saintsnet after the game.
“I thought we played some really good football and there were loads of positives. The result is immaterial but there is plenty to think about as we get the squad into the right shape and formation.”
As well as seeing City’s seven new signings in match action, City also had three trialists - Max Lette Jallow, Taylor Miles and Elliott Buchanan – in action. And more new faces are expecting in Tuesday’s friendly against Dagenham and Redbridge.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got another couple of lads coming down,” admitted Gray.
“We still need to strengthen in a couple of areas but the way we finished last season, beating Chesham in the play-off final, the lads have a real togetherness. We don’t want to upset the group and take a backwards step so any player has to be right for us and the club.”
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 9 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 10 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
Tuesday’s friendly at Clarence Park kicks off at 7.45pm.