‘Loads of positives’ from pre-season opener
- Credit: Archant
Joint managers James Gray and Graham Golds saw plenty of positives and things to work on following St Albans City’s pre-season loss to Solihull Moors.
The Saints lost 2-0 in their opening friendly in Birmingham on Saturday but with results at this stage of the season being irrelevant, Gray was encouraged by what he saw.
“The game wasn’t about the result; it’s about the way we want to play and giving the players a feel for the ball, their movement and match speed,” he told Saintsnet after the game.
“I thought we played some really good football and there were loads of positives. The result is immaterial but there is plenty to think about as we get the squad into the right shape and formation.”
As well as seeing City’s seven new signings in match action, City also had three trialists - Max Lette Jallow, Taylor Miles and Elliott Buchanan – in action. And more new faces are expecting in Tuesday’s friendly against Dagenham and Redbridge.
“We’ve got another couple of lads coming down,” admitted Gray.
“We still need to strengthen in a couple of areas but the way we finished last season, beating Chesham in the play-off final, the lads have a real togetherness. We don’t want to upset the group and take a backwards step so any player has to be right for us and the club.”
- 1 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 2 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 3 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 4 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Call for proper testing for new Charter Market stalls
- 9 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 10 St Albans Striders shine at Summer Solstice 10k
Tuesday’s friendly at Clarence Park kicks off at 7.45pm.