Like they’ve never been away as Harpenden Town continue winning ways after a month lay-off
- Credit: Archant
FA Vase quarter-finalists Southall became the latest vctim in a 10-match SSML Division One winning run as Harpenden Town returned to action after a month’s lay-off.
Town last played on January 7 but had been without a game since due to the inclement weather.
But goals from Frankie Jowle and Charlie Gould kept the pressure on leaders Biggleswade FC, closing the gap to four points with a game in hand.
there was no signs of any rustiness early on as Jowle put Harpenden in front after seven minutes, heading in a rebound after a Sam James shot had beenb saved.
And Harpenden continued to have the upper hand in the first period, without being able to add to their lead.
You may also want to watch:
However, Southall, who host Cleethropes Town in the last eight of the Vase on February 18, came back in the second half with Connor Sansom twice being forced to tip shots over the bar.
But with time almost up Gould reacted quickest to a loose ball in the box, firing it into the corner of the net.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 4 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 5 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 6 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 7 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 8 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
It will be his last action in a Harpenden shirt for a while as he leaves for New Zealand on Thursday for a year travelling.
But Town have a handy replacement lined up in former star Alex Yearwood, who has just returned from playing in Florida.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “This was an outstanding performance against a team that has got through to the quarter-final of the FA Vase.
“Connor in goal and central defenders Tony Golder and Jack Cartwright did what was needed doing at the back and we had another clean sheet.”
Harps will attempt to get their Division One Cup semi-final against Wodson Park played tonight (Tuesday) with kick-off at Rothamsted Park at 7.45pm.
It is then back to league action on Saturday when they go to Hadley Wood & Wingate.