Liebenberg joins Bedford Blues
OAs’ scrum-half seals move to Championship outfit
OLD ALBANIANS’ scrum-half Stefan Liebenberg has agreed a deal to join Championship side Bedford Blues.
The Blues moved to sign the 27-year-old South African as a replacement for Newcastle bound Will Chudley and he will provide competition for player-coach Nick Walshe in the number nine jersey.
Liebenberg has played a pivotal role in OAs’ success this season scoring six tries as the club secured a fifth placed finish in its debut season at National Two South level.
The scrum-half’s form earned him a call up to the England Counties’ side in March and he also helped Hertfordshire reach the final of the Bill Beaumont Cup.
“Stefan is a player that we have been aware of for some time,” Blues boss Mike Rayer told the club’s official website.
“Now is a perfect opportunity for him to step up to the Championship and show everyone what he is capable of.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 8 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 9 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 10 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
“He has plenty of experience and has more than served his apprenticeship at both Old Albanians and Cambridge under the tutelage of James Shanahan and we are delighted that he has signed.”