Lethargic Rovers punished by Hitchin
Herts Senior County League Division One Harpenden Rovers 1 Hitchin Town Arena 4 HARPENDEN Rovers couldn t continue their good run of form when they welcomed a strong Hitchin Town Arena side to Acres Corner, going down 4-1. Rovers were weakened some abse
Herts Senior County League Division One
Harpenden Rovers 1 Hitchin Town Arena 4
HARPENDEN Rovers couldn't continue their good run of form when they welcomed a strong Hitchin Town Arena side to Acres Corner, going down 4-1.
Rovers were weakened some absentees and this showed in the first 25 minutes as Hitchin dominated while the new players bedded in.
You may also want to watch:
Hitchin took the lead on 30 minutes when Rovers conceded a needless free kick on the edge of the box, which Hitchin curled into the top corner. This sparked Rovers into life, and with the industrial trio of Watson, Matt Chugg and Neil Cannons beginning to dominate, Rovers looked the better side.
The pressure told and from a Steve Fox set piece, Graham Golds headed back across the goal for debutant James Hardy to nod home to send both teams in at the interval level.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
In the second half Rovers failed to get going and although they created a couple of chances it was Hitchin who looked the more threatening.
With 20 minutes remaining a defensive mix up allowed Hitchin to take the lead and they killed the game off five minutes later when they capitalised on another defensive error.
With Rovers pushing forward to restore some pride to the score line, Hitchin hit their hosts on the break adding a fourth with the last touch of the game.
Rovers entertain Kimpton at home on Saturday in what promises to be a mouth watering tie, with Rovers looking to avenge their 4-1 defeat earlier in the season.
Team: Maher, Cannon, Watson, Dobinson, Foster, Fox, Chugg, Golds, Hardy (Coogan 78), Bounds, Jenkinson (Williams 63) subs unused: Ellis, Rawlinson.