Letchworth beat Romans in County Cup final at Allianz Park
- Credit: Archant
Letchworth retained the County Cup at Saracens’ Allianz Park on Sunday in dramatic fashion against a strong Old Albanian Romans side who were in contention up to the last 10 minutes.
In front of a large crowd who had enjoyed two other cup finals before this game, both sides endeavoured to play attractive rugby with the end result being the Legends running out 33-19 victors.
The opening minutes were a bit like shadowboxing with both sides weighing each other up before OAs slotted a penalty for a 3-0 lead.
Legends struck back with two tries, Simon Hrbek converted one, to take a 12-3 lead.
The St Albans side kept in contention with another penalty before half-time, although Letchworth almost extended their lead. Ansell broke through only to be brought down by a last-ditch tackle from Matt Deane, and then flying winger Arun Johal was bundled into touch with the line beckoning.
OAs came out with a vengeance at the start of the second-half and their rolling maul helped them to close the gap to 12-11.
Jimmy Tirrell extended Letchworth’s lead but it was quickly cancelled out as, following a yellow card for Joe Shaw, OAs went over. And they nearly retook the lead but Charlie Parkhouse made a last-gasp clearance.
- 1 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 2 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 3 St Albans named among UK's best places for Christmas activities
- 4 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road
- 5 Community design group 'ignored' over Alban Arena redevelopment
- 6 St Albans city centre road closures reduce spaces for Blue Badge holders
- 7 Luton Airport expansion approved despite passionate opposition
- 8 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 9 St Albans council urges Hertsmere to rethink plans for Bowmans Cross
- 10 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
The youngster was then at the end of breakout move and Tirrell dotted down again to seal a 33-19 victory for Letchworth.