Leaving it late in Plate
A LAST-minute converted try handed the Old Albanian Under 17s a place in the regional final of the National Plate (London & South East Division) last weekend. In one of just a few matches to beat the miserable weather, the OAs travelled to Shelford RFC f
A LAST-minute converted try handed the Old Albanian Under 17s a place in the regional final of the National Plate (London & South East Division) last weekend.
In one of just a few matches to beat the miserable weather, the OAs travelled to Shelford RFC for the semi-final meeting with one of Cambridgeshire's top sides.
The horrendous conditions made expansive rugby difficult and the match proved a tight encounter. At half time the score was 5-5 with number eight Ross Dempsey scoring the try for OAs.
The second half was scoreless until Shelford crossed the OA line for an unconverted try with just seven minutes remaining.
You may also want to watch:
The battling OAs refused to give up, and worked their way back up the pitch to give scrum half/winger David Hancock the chance to crash over in the corner.
Victor Stairmand's conversion attempt defied the buffeting wind to soar between the uprights, and the referee blew full time to give OAs a 12-10 victory. The OAs will now play in the regional final at Woollams on Sunday, April 6.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 4 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 5 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 6 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 7 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 8 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 9 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 10 Columban Cycling Club take on 'The Italian Job' for Home-Start Herts