Leaving it late in Plate
A LAST-minute converted try handed the Old Albanian Under 17s a place in the regional final of the National Plate (London & South East Division) last weekend. In one of just a few matches to beat the miserable weather, the OAs travelled to Shelford RFC f
A LAST-minute converted try handed the Old Albanian Under 17s a place in the regional final of the National Plate (London & South East Division) last weekend.
In one of just a few matches to beat the miserable weather, the OAs travelled to Shelford RFC for the semi-final meeting with one of Cambridgeshire's top sides.
The horrendous conditions made expansive rugby difficult and the match proved a tight encounter. At half time the score was 5-5 with number eight Ross Dempsey scoring the try for OAs.
The second half was scoreless until Shelford crossed the OA line for an unconverted try with just seven minutes remaining.
You may also want to watch:
The battling OAs refused to give up, and worked their way back up the pitch to give scrum half/winger David Hancock the chance to crash over in the corner.
Victor Stairmand's conversion attempt defied the buffeting wind to soar between the uprights, and the referee blew full time to give OAs a 12-10 victory. The OAs will now play in the regional final at Woollams on Sunday, April 6.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 10 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire