League loss for Sandridge Rovers
SANDRIDGE Rovers went to mid-table Wormley in a Herts Senior County League Premier Division fixture on Saturday hoping to put their recent cup disappointments behind them, however they fell to a 5-1 defeat.
They were still without the injured Stuart Love so veteran Chris Wickens played in a more forward role than of late, supporting Steve Lovell.
It started badly with Wormley on the front foot, exposing Rovers’ defensive frailties to take a 2–0 lead within 20 minutes.
However, Rovers responded well with Lovell going close and Matthew Chugg and Josh Godden both testing the home keeper, and deservedly pulled one back just before the break with a good finish from Lovell.
The early stages of the second half were much as the first with Wormley dominant, and the hosts were 4–1 ahead within 10 minutes of the restart.
You may also want to watch:
Again Rovers responded well with Lovell as usual tireless up front, but goals did not come.
As Rovers continued to press, with some trade-mark surges from Robbie Heywood, more space appeared in their rear-guard and it was not a surprise when a Wormley break from the halfway line made the final score 5–1.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Coursers Road, London Colney: Trailer flips over
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development