League leaders brush aside Tabard
League London 1 North
Tabard 0 Westcliff 32
TABARD showed the signs of not playing for two weeks as they started rather loosely against the league leaders Westcliff on Saturday and were 12 points down inside 10 minutes. A situation they never recovered from to end up losing 32-0.
Despite a good performance from the forwards in the tight and some good controlled rucking, Tabard were never able to make full use of the possession they enjoyed. In the three-quarters centres Tryfan Edwards and Joe Cunningham had their usual penetrative runs but the penetration was never enough to cross the Westcliff line. The Tabard defence was also pretty sound once they got going but Westcliff were the better side on the day and went away with the game honours.
Virtually from the kick off Tabard broke down. After a good solid take they ran out of their own 22 metre area and looked impressive until the ball was fumbled forward and Westcliff capitalised on Tabard being out of position and their centre Cosgrove touched down for the opening score. Tabard still put their moves together however but once again an attacking move broke down and Westcliff retaliated with No.8, Levy, scoring with stand off McKieth adding the conversion. McKieth then converted a penalty after Tabard were penalised in the scrum to increase Westcliff’s lead to 15 points to nil after 20 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Tabard then had a good period and it looked as if they might score before half time but, deep into first half stoppage time, the Westcliff wing Radley was over after Tabard knocked on in midfield, to complete the first half scoring.
The second half was again a case of the Tabard attacks faltering and Westcliff capitalising on the errors. The first Westcliff score coming when Tabard ran out of defence but once again failed to make the ball safe and Radley was able to evade the cover tackle to score in the corner.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 6 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
Westcliff’s final score came five minutes from the end. This time they put together a number of phases before wing Reynolds was over with replacement Jones adding the conversion to complete Tabard’s defeat by 32 points to nil.
Next week Tabard are away to Ruislip, kick off 2:15 pm.
Tabard: Murphy (Davis 65m), Thomas, Cunningham, Edwards, Roberts, Van der Vlugt, Gough, Colette, Hart, Lake W. O’Connor, Fawssett, Hall, Stoba and Kidd (Stingu 56m).
Other result: Tabard 2nd XV 53 Hendon 0.