League and cup joy for St Albans Hockey Club
- Credit: Archant
Teams from St Albans Hockey Club were celebrating success in both league and cup competitions this weekend.
The ladies led the way with both their over 35 and second teams securing places in the semi finals of their respective national cup competitions.
The 35s had a solid 2-0 victory against Wimbledon with goals from Liz Cleverly and Anne Marie Davenport while and the 2nds were involved in a titanic struggle with East Grinstead, eventually coming through on penalty hits.
Jo Martin’s goal saw them finish tied at 1-1 at full time but the Tangerines won 3-1 in the shootout thanks to three fantastic saves from the on-form goalkeeper Sarah Lavers.
Natasha Humphries, Victoria Trumpess and Lottie Simpson were successful with their penalties.
You may also want to watch:
The first team’s 1-0 win against Ipswich lifted them into second position in the National Conference East League, Sarah Embrey the scorer.
But success was not confined to the ladies section with an emphatic 7-1 victory against Havering at Oaklands sending the men’s first team third in the East of England Premier League.
- 1 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 2 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 3 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 4 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
Alex Stobbart’s two goals set them on their way and there was one each for David Williams, Alex Spencer, Mark Lowden, Paul Cooper, and Matt Davey.
Josh Rose helped the 3rds to a 1-1 draw with London Wayfarers, the 4ths won 4-0 against Bishops Stortford and the 5ths drew 1-1 with Luton Town.
A hat-trick from Robin Mobbs secured a 3-0 victory against Cheshunt for the 6th team and the Praetorians won 2-0 against Chelmsford.
Back in the ladies section, the 2nds drew 2-2 away to Tunbridge Wells thanks to goals from Jo Martin and Annie Barratt while the 3rds beat Welwyn 4-0 courtesy of two from Liz Cleverly and one each for Libe Fadrique and Vanezza Zabert.
Sara Robinson and Gemma Little were on target as the 4th team won 2-0 against Leighton Buzzard.