Leaders Harpenden continue title chase
SSML Division One leaders Harpenden Town kept up their promotion chase with an emphatic 4-1 win against Cranfield Utd at Rothamsted Park on Saturday.
Dual strikers James Ewington and Jimmy Hill gave the Cranfield defence a torrid time and it was Ewington whose shot in the third minute from a tight angle was deflected into the net by a Cranfield defender.
Hill had chances to double the lead before half-time though it was Cranfield who came closest to scoring before the break.
The second half was all one way traffic.
A sublime pass from Hill created an opening for Ewington to powerfully finish for 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
Jack Downes then rifled over the bar before Hill curled in a third with a wonderful finish.
With the game won, boss Bob Fowler introduced Stu Brown from the bench, who was returning after injury, and his presence in midfield allowed Ewington to sprint clear of the defence and finish with style.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 5 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 6 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 9 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 10 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
Cranfield scored a late consolation and this, and an injury to centre half Chris Green, were the only blips on an impressive team performance.
Harpenden now have a well earned break before resuming their campaign at home to Sun Postal Sports on Saturday, November 3.