Leaders Harpenden continue title chase
SSML Division One leaders Harpenden Town kept up their promotion chase with an emphatic 4-1 win against Cranfield Utd at Rothamsted Park on Saturday.
Dual strikers James Ewington and Jimmy Hill gave the Cranfield defence a torrid time and it was Ewington whose shot in the third minute from a tight angle was deflected into the net by a Cranfield defender.
Hill had chances to double the lead before half-time though it was Cranfield who came closest to scoring before the break.
The second half was all one way traffic.
A sublime pass from Hill created an opening for Ewington to powerfully finish for 2-0.
Jack Downes then rifled over the bar before Hill curled in a third with a wonderful finish.
With the game won, boss Bob Fowler introduced Stu Brown from the bench, who was returning after injury, and his presence in midfield allowed Ewington to sprint clear of the defence and finish with style.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 6 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 7 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 10 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
Cranfield scored a late consolation and this, and an injury to centre half Chris Green, were the only blips on an impressive team performance.
Harpenden now have a well earned break before resuming their campaign at home to Sun Postal Sports on Saturday, November 3.