Leaders Harpenden continue title chase
SSML Division One leaders Harpenden Town kept up their promotion chase with an emphatic 4-1 win against Cranfield Utd at Rothamsted Park on Saturday.
Dual strikers James Ewington and Jimmy Hill gave the Cranfield defence a torrid time and it was Ewington whose shot in the third minute from a tight angle was deflected into the net by a Cranfield defender.
Hill had chances to double the lead before half-time though it was Cranfield who came closest to scoring before the break.
The second half was all one way traffic.
A sublime pass from Hill created an opening for Ewington to powerfully finish for 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
Jack Downes then rifled over the bar before Hill curled in a third with a wonderful finish.
With the game won, boss Bob Fowler introduced Stu Brown from the bench, who was returning after injury, and his presence in midfield allowed Ewington to sprint clear of the defence and finish with style.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
Cranfield scored a late consolation and this, and an injury to centre half Chris Green, were the only blips on an impressive team performance.
Harpenden now have a well earned break before resuming their campaign at home to Sun Postal Sports on Saturday, November 3.