Lead dwindles but Old Albanians hold on for win
- Credit: Archant
Worthing may well feel more satisfied with their efforts on this bleak afternoon than will their visitors who, not for the first time this year, saw a substantial lead dwindle alarmingly in the latter stages of this match.
However, another five point league haul will cheer those who made the trek from Hertfordshire.
Too many passes went adrift in the murky conditions to keep Albanian attacks as lively deep in the second half as they were in the first.
But win number 10 of the season ensures the run up to the Christmas break should be a happy one.
Lively winger Mike Allan opened the scoring after a clean line-out take five minutes in but 12 minutes later Worthing fly-half Sean O’Hagan replied after an interception.
Sam Aspland-Robinson converted to put the hosts ahead.
Jordi Pasqualin stepped neatly off his right foot and Olly Marchon was on hand to take the scoring pass as OAs retook the lead.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 3 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 6 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 7 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 8 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 9 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 10 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
Chris May added the extras and repeated the dose six minutes later when Allan crossed for the second time.
Aspland-Robinson brought his side closer with a penalty 10 minutes before the break.
Albanians pulled away when Nick Foster charged over for the bonus point after a determined drive which May again improved.
And Pasqualin teamed up, this time with Foster, just into the final quarter for an unconverted try.
Doggedly Worthing clawed back at the deficit and Liam Perkins tore over from the base of a scrum 20 metres out for his winger to convert.
Then a forward drive to the left of the OA posts gave Aspland-Robinson the chance of a bonus point.
He was equal to the task.