Lead dwindles but Old Albanians hold on for win
- Credit: Archant
Worthing may well feel more satisfied with their efforts on this bleak afternoon than will their visitors who, not for the first time this year, saw a substantial lead dwindle alarmingly in the latter stages of this match.
However, another five point league haul will cheer those who made the trek from Hertfordshire.
Too many passes went adrift in the murky conditions to keep Albanian attacks as lively deep in the second half as they were in the first.
But win number 10 of the season ensures the run up to the Christmas break should be a happy one.
Lively winger Mike Allan opened the scoring after a clean line-out take five minutes in but 12 minutes later Worthing fly-half Sean O’Hagan replied after an interception.
Sam Aspland-Robinson converted to put the hosts ahead.
Jordi Pasqualin stepped neatly off his right foot and Olly Marchon was on hand to take the scoring pass as OAs retook the lead.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
Chris May added the extras and repeated the dose six minutes later when Allan crossed for the second time.
Aspland-Robinson brought his side closer with a penalty 10 minutes before the break.
Albanians pulled away when Nick Foster charged over for the bonus point after a determined drive which May again improved.
And Pasqualin teamed up, this time with Foster, just into the final quarter for an unconverted try.
Doggedly Worthing clawed back at the deficit and Liam Perkins tore over from the base of a scrum 20 metres out for his winger to convert.
Then a forward drive to the left of the OA posts gave Aspland-Robinson the chance of a bonus point.
He was equal to the task.