Latham impresses but Harps lose T20 opener
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden CC are bottom of the Readers County T20 Cup North division after losing their opening fixture.
Nick Lamb’s side were beaten by a single run by Sawbridgeworth on Monday.
Sawbridgeworth won the toss and elected to bat first and their top three batsmen put them in an excellent position as they raced to 86-3. Alex Anon (56) bludgeoned 11 boundaries in 26 balls.
The rest of the line-up struggled in the face of Harpenden’s bowling attack as Ben Frazer (4-25) added four wickets to the four he took in the league on Saturday and Will Jones (1-13) took his first scalp of the season.
Simon White (2-25) and Dan Wightman (2-15), who also had a run out, snared the top order of Sawbridgeworth’s batting line-up.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden’s reply struggled out of the gate with only Scott Galloway (10) reaching double figures in the top five.
At 37-7, James Latham (49*) and White (36) steadied the ship and accelerated the score towards the target. The pair put on a 83-run eight wicket stand before White was bowled by Danny Wilson (1-12).
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Guy Watts (2) came to the crease with Harpenden needing 11 from the last seven deliveries. Latham and Watts added three runs before the latter was removed with the penultimate ball of the game.
Latham ended his impressive innings with a six off the last ball as Harpenden ended two runs shy of victory.
Harpenden’s next T20 games are on Monday, May 26 when they face Letchworth Garden City and Hertford at the Common.