Late surge from league leaders downs Harpenden Town
- Credit: Archant
Harry Hunt continued his impressive goalscoring form on Saturday but it wasn’t enough as Harpenden Town fell to a 4-2 loss to SSML Division One leaders FC Broxbourne Borough.
Town’s frontman has scored seven times in the last nine games, taking his season’s tally in the league to 11.
He could not get his side the win on Saturday though as Broxbourne proved too strong at Rothamsted Park.
Simon Andrews’ side almost pulled out a shock win against a team that have lost just twice this campaign.
Chris McCarthy gave Town the lead in the 11th minute and Hunt doubled it in the 22nd minute to put Harpenden on the front foot.
You may also want to watch:
It was just the third time this year that Broxbourne had conceded two or more goals in a game, the other two times had resulted in losses.
Kieran Bishop grabbed a life-line for the visitors in the 42nd minute as they headed into the break trailing Harpenden 2-1.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 5 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 6 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
Facing a loss and the possibility of Sun Postal Sports taking top spot, Broxbourne came out invigorated after the interval. They were kept at bay, however, by Harpenden’s stout back line.
The leveller eventually came in the 70th minute, Samir Hadi turning the ball into the net.
As time ticked down, Harpenden were dealt a cruel blow as Kareem Bashkal popped up to net Broxbourne’s third goal before Bishop got back on the scoresheet to pad the final result.
Town are at home on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) in the Anagram Trophy when they take on Bushey Sports Club.