Late penalty sees London Colney draw with Berkhamsted

A LATE penalty saw London Colney pegged back to draw 2-2 at home to Berkhamsted on Tuesday night.

The Blueboys were leading 2-1 with 11 minutes left, but Berko levelled to halt Colney’s hopes of three straight SSML Premier Division wins.

Early on Russell Gallagher had a shot blocked after a good ball from Dean Thompson while at the other end Frankie Jowle fired in a low cross which saw Bekim Culaj’s effort deflected wide.

From the resulting corner Mark Whittamore had to be on his toes to punch away a curling Dan Griggs kick.

On 20 minutes Berko took the lead as Griggs raced clear and fired past Whittamore.

It should have been 2-0 soon after but Connor Calcutt fired wide.

The Blueboys drew level when Dave Keenleyside despatched a curling 25 yard free-kick into the bottom right corner.

Most Read

Newman then had a shot tipped round the post, while Keenleyside forced keeper Carl Tasker into making a good save.

Calcutt firstly had a shot go wide then on the stroke of half-time he saw a header tipped round the post by Whittamore.

Four minutes into the second half The Blueboys took the lead when Thompson found Newman. He played the ball to Matt Sutton who swivelled and hit an unstoppable shot past Tasker.

As the game ticked towards the latter stages the visitors started to pile on the pressure.

They won a penalty when Mark Paradise pushed Dale Sears following a corner.

Lawrence Bunker sent Whittamore the wrong way from the spot to make it 2-2.

As both sides went for the winner play switched from end to end and it was Whittamore who had the last say with a tremendous save from Calcutt to deny him the winner.

• London Colney beat Biggleswade United 1-0 on Saturday despite missing nine of their first team squad.

The only goal of the game was scored in the 75th minute with a cheeky lob from the edge of the box by Matt Newman.

The Blueboys could have been two up after two minutes but Newman shot wide and had an effort held by Scott Waters.

Gallagher had a shot go just wide, while Junior Adeoye cut in from the right and flashed a shot past the post.

As the first half came to a close Biggleswade created a few chances with David Parker, Sam Stephenson and Chris Butler all unable to beat Whittamore.

After the break Colney piled on the pressure, but couldn’t break the deadlock until there were 15 minutes to go.

Danny Fitzgerald won a loose ball and picked out Newman who lifted the ball over the keeper to secure the three points.