Late penalty downs Blueboys in pre-seaosn friendly
- Credit: Archant
A controversial penalty decision, and subsequent goal, saw London Colney lose their latest pre-season friendly.
Goalless as the game reached its conclusion, the assistant flagged for a handball that the referee, standing in the box, did not see. The referee trusted his assistant and Northwood scored the only goal of the game.
London Colney got off to a solid start when a Martin Collins corner kick which was touched on by Cain Davey saw his effort cleared off the line whilst Jimmy Hartley following up had his firm drive well saved by the Northwood keeper.
Hartley then made a good run into the box but his low strike flashed past the far post.
It was not all one way as the visitors went close with a effort that rebounded back off the crossbar.
You may also want to watch:
From another Collins corner kick, James Beck had a shot blocked and Spencer Clarke-Mardel fired a effort just over the bar before Hartley found Russell Gallagher with a neat pass but his low drive went past the far post.
Just before the break Hartley made a surging run towards goal and when he found space 20 yards out he instantly let fly with a sizzling low drive that whistled past the left hand post.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 7 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
At half time Northwood made seven changes and they really started to move the ball about and they nearly opened the scoring but the shot rebounded back off the foot of the post.
At the other end Jason Beck beat both a defender and the keeper to a long ball forward but his header went just wide of the post.
Once again Hartley made a good run into the box only to see his cracking strike tipped over the bar by the Northwood keeper and Cain Davey also had a shot saved minutes later.
The visitors again hit the woodwork with Jack Smith well beaten and then minutes he made a smart save down to his right as Northwood broke into the box.
Collins made a fine run goalwards for the Blueboys and his 20 yard low drive was pushed around the post and then he setup Beck who got a shot away only to see the Nortwood keeper make another fine save.
The visitors yet again struck the woodwork when a snap shot out of the blue smashed against the crossbar and then bounced back into play.
Hartley, after another good run at goal, then played the ball to Cain Davey who fired his effort just wide of the far post and with a goalless draw looking on the cards the visitors then won the match 1-0 with the debatable spot kick.