Late goal earns Saints three points
- Credit: Archant
CHRIS Henry scored an 88th minute goal to earn City a 1-0 win over Corby Town.
The speedy winger came of the bench just before the hour mark but was made to wait until the end of the game for his goal. Henry linked up with John Frendo, who remains without a league goal since joining the club, before cutting back inside and firing it in at the near post.
It was no more than City deserved after dominating long periods of the game.
City didn’t start well and Corby went close but Paul Bastock was quick off his line to thwart Tom Berwick. After that, City bossed the game, enjoying long spells of pressure but without a finishing touch.
Frendo side-footed an effort wide when he should have hit the target from Aryan Tajbakhsh and the pair almost broke the deadlock again in the 30th minute but the striker failed to connect with a teasing cross.
You may also want to watch:
Corby made a double substitution in the 38th minute to combat City’s possession but it failed to work. The substitutions also failed to give the Steelmen the attacking potency they desired.
Saints were having the same problem, even after Henry was brought into the fray, as they continued to look for the opening goal.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
But the Saints, as they have done so often this season, found something extra in the final five minutes to steal all three points.
Next up for City is Hitchin Town on Monday night at Top Field. It will be the first time Frendo has been back to his former club since he joined St Albans and the script seems written for him to open his account against Hitchin.