Late goal denies City the points their efforts deserve

Ingram goal breaks City hearts

Blue Square Bet South

Weston-super-Mare 2 St Albans City 1

A DEBUT goal from Tony Battersby proved in vein as Weston-super-Mare struck a late winner to inflict another defeat on St Albans City.

The striker, signed on dual registration forms from Stamford, rose to head home in the 76th minute to cancel out Nat Pepperell’s early penalty but any hopes City had of a point were dashed when Kane Ingram curled in a free kick from the tightest of angles four minutes from time.

Rob Magwood earned a recall in midfield following the release of Adam Martin and Dave Deeney during the week while Mark Peters and Jamie O’Donoghue came in for the injured Ryan Frater and Inih Effiong.

Things didn’t start well for City when referee Andy Newell awarded the home side a penalty for an alleged handball. Martin Slocombe’s corner kick was punched by Bastock as far as Trowbridge whose shot hit a body in the crowded penalty area and Pepperell made no mistake from the spot.

Most Read

Despite the setback City set about their work in a positive way and could have drawn level when Battersby was the beneficiary of a slip by Jamie Price only for the debutant to fire straight at goalkeeper Lloyd Irish.

The Weston ‘keeper also denied a header from Pete Smith who was enjoying the freedom his more advanced role on the left of midfield offered.

The second half began in much the same fashion with City dominating the proceedings.

Ollie Kelly stung the ‘keeper’s palms only a minute after the restart and the former Reading man nearly picked out O’Donoghue at the far post 60 seconds later only for the cross to beat the forward.

In one of their rare forays forward Weston nearly nicked a second goal only for Bastock to tip Sahr Kabba’s effort over the cross bar.

The equalising goal City’s dominance deserved eventually came in the 76th minute. An outswinging corner from James Fisher was headed back into the danger zone by Peters and Battersby beat Irish to the ball to head home. It was no less than City deserved but parity was maintained for only 10 minutes.

A break down the left by Dayle Grubb was ended by Ben Martin and despite the tight angle Ingram somehow swung the ball inside Bastock’s far post to seal Weston’s double over City this season.

Weston: Irish; Price, J Laird, Villis, Slocombe; Pepperell (Dallo 73), Trowbridge, Kirk, Ingram (Gilbert 88); Kabba (C Laird 58), Grubb. Subs not used: Mawford, Rand.

City: Bastock; Hocking (Petrucci 64) Peters, B Martin �, Everitt; Fisher, Everitt, Kelly, Smith (Chaves 77); Battersby, O’Donoghue (Sean Shields 54). Sub not used: Dedman.

Referee: Andy Newell.

Att: 215.