Late drama as Harpenden snatch victory from Harrow
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Rugby Club left it late to snatch a 19-13 victory over Harrow on the opening day of the London North West Two season.
Trailing 13-12 and with the clock showing 80 minutes, Harpenden were awarded a penalty try as their hosts gave away four scrummage penalties on the five-metre line.
Jack Haddock kicked the simple conversion.
Ed Preston and Ollie Mann had scored earlier tries for Harpenden, with Haddock also converting the first of these.
Harrow had got off to the better start thanks to two penalties inside the opening 20 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Preston’s try five minutes from the break however gave Harpenden the half-time lead.
The No.8 picked up from the back of a scrum close to the home line and scooted over for the score.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 6 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 9 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 10 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
And Harpenden extended their lead shortly after the interval with the best try of the game.
Again it came from a scrum. Quick ball allowed Harps to move the ball through the backs with Mann getting round on the loop to score in the corner.
But despite these two scores they were still within a converted try from losing the lead, something which happened on the hour mark.
Harpenden though looked well motivated throughout and their pressure at the end caused penalties for deliberately wheeling and collapsing the scrum.
Stockwood Park provide the opponents as Redbourn Lane hosts its first game on Saturday.