Last-gasp conversion drama lights up dour Old Albanian win over Hull Ionians
- Credit: Archant
A last-gasp missed conversion from Hull Ionians’ Lee Millar gave Old Albanian Rugby Club a narrow 15-13 National One win at Woollams.
It was probably the most exciting moment of a dour match. Both assistant referee’s looked long and hard at each other whilst they made their decision.
In the end they decidedthe kick had drifted marginally wide and Albanian had taken the honours.
Both sides seemed overcome by the dreary, drizzly weather which, although it certainly affected handling, should not have drained imagination from the encounter.
Hull had shown their mettle the previous week when beating Rosslyn Park so Albanians were under no illusion as to the threat their opponents formed.
Yet neither side really got to grips with either the elements or each other and the first quarter remained scoreless.
Max Malins opened the scoring for the hosts on 22 minutes with a penalty which was more than cancelled out moments later by John Allott’s try.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 3 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 4 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 5 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 6 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 7 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 8 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 9 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 10 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
Alex Gliksten hit the spot with the first Albanian try before the half ended.
Hull withstood the superior OA line-out and came close to parity at scrum time but Ross Hamilton was driven over from 15 metres for Ben Palmer to convert.
Chris Eggleshall replied in kind for the visitors in time added before the last drama played out.