Last-gasp conversion drama lights up dour Old Albanian win over Hull Ionians
- Credit: Archant
A last-gasp missed conversion from Hull Ionians’ Lee Millar gave Old Albanian Rugby Club a narrow 15-13 National One win at Woollams.
It was probably the most exciting moment of a dour match. Both assistant referee’s looked long and hard at each other whilst they made their decision.
In the end they decidedthe kick had drifted marginally wide and Albanian had taken the honours.
Both sides seemed overcome by the dreary, drizzly weather which, although it certainly affected handling, should not have drained imagination from the encounter.
Hull had shown their mettle the previous week when beating Rosslyn Park so Albanians were under no illusion as to the threat their opponents formed.
You may also want to watch:
Yet neither side really got to grips with either the elements or each other and the first quarter remained scoreless.
Max Malins opened the scoring for the hosts on 22 minutes with a penalty which was more than cancelled out moments later by John Allott’s try.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
Alex Gliksten hit the spot with the first Albanian try before the half ended.
Hull withstood the superior OA line-out and came close to parity at scrum time but Ross Hamilton was driven over from 15 metres for Ben Palmer to convert.
Chris Eggleshall replied in kind for the visitors in time added before the last drama played out.