Ladies bow out of Cup
Late goal sinks City
County Cup Second Round
St Albans City Ladies 1
Hoddesdon Owls 2 (AET)
THE City Ladies bowed out of the County Cup after an extra-time defeat to Hoddesdon Owls.
The away side went ahead midway through the first half but City responded well and were unlucky not to draw level when Olivia Mari’s shot came back off the post.
City were dealt a blow when ace striker Kate Clarke was stretchered off with what appeared to be ligament damage.
- 1 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 2 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 3 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 4 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 5 Medals, fast times and great performances for St Albans swimmers at championships
- 6 Police ‘concerned’ as 25-year-old goes missing from Stevenage
- 7 Cash stolen from parked car on Harpenden Road in St Albans
- 8 Animal antics during a night's adventure at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 David Carrick appears at Westminster Magistrates' charged with three rapes
- 10 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
The home side drew level when Player of the Match Steph Belcher played the ball out to Lucy Hancock who in turn fed Claudia Hutton to fire a low shot in off the post.
Mari passed up a couple of good opportunities to put City ahead as the game went into extra time.
With just minutes left City thought they’d snatched the win but Mari’s effort crashed off the crossbar.
Disaster struck for the home side as Hoddesdon went up the other end and snatched a dramatic late winner.
City: Hilton, Sherlow, Warren, Connolly, Kiff, Belcher, Hutton, Hancock, Mari, Slade, Clarke (Cameron). Subs not used: McGuinness, Fletcher, Kropman.