Kneale proud as Harpenden earn promotion lift
East League Division 3SW Harpenden II 2 Rickmansworth 0 HARPENDEN II capped a fine season with the victory against Rickmansworth they needed to secure the second promotion place in Division 3SW.
East League Division 3SW
Harpenden II 2 Rickmansworth 0
HARPENDEN II capped a fine season with the victory against Rickmansworth they needed to secure the second promotion place in Division 3SW.
The Whites were in confident mood with a formidable home record and skipper Pete Kneale returned to the squad with David Waters also back.
Forward Nigel Timms was lively early on, looking to add to his 17-goal tally but it was his older brother Russell who struck first. Veteran club captain Paul Nash, playing for an extension to his HHC contract, produced a moment of magic and found Russell Timms on the back post to slot home his sixth goal in as many games.
Less than two minutes later, Harpenden had one hand firmly on their runners-up medals, when Waters picked the ball up wide on the 25. He drove towards the D, sold an audacious dummy and drilled home a spectacular finish.
- 1 Moped crashes with pedestrian on St Peter's Street
- 2 Birch tree roots battle for St Albans neighbour
- 3 Woman in her 60s seriously injured in St Peter's Street crash
- 4 Club night revival in St Albans
- 5 St Albans woman stops British Grand Prix at Silverstone
- 6 Hitchin & Harpenden MP Bim Afolami resigns as Tory vice chair live on air
- 7 Teenager's arm broken during 'metal pole attack'
- 8 Woman assaulted by teenage boys in Hemel Hempstead underpass
- 9 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 10 St Albans MP reacts to new hospitals probe
Goalkeeper Ben Brind made a fine save to ensure the lead was secure and, although they had chances to extend the margin, the 2-0 win proved enough for promotion. Ali Hutson, Niall Blackwell and Ceri Sharma all went close to scoring and defensively Sam Martyn, Graham Smith and Ali Holland kept things secure. Midfielder Ben Turner was tireless both in his running and his vocal encouragement and Fraser Tant ran down the clock to secure the win. Skipper Kneale said: "It's been a great performance from the lads all season. I'm proud of them all, and we're looking forward to making a mark on Division Two next year"
Relegated Harpenden firsts lost 3-1 away at Broxbourne in the East Men's League Premier A.