Kilburn take the high road to Vees success
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians Rugby Club slipped to their first defeat in eight games with a 24-3 loss to Herts Middlesex One league leaders Kilburn Cosmos.
In perfect sunny, spring conditions, which helped swell the crowd at Cotlandswick, Vees gave a good account of themselves but the visitors showed exactly why they merit their season long pole position
The bumper crowd were treated to a fine display of flowing, attacking rugby but after exchanging penalties in the opening quarter of the match, Kilburn crossed for a try and a 10-3 half-time lead.
And the leaders started the second period better, their efficiency with the ball bringing a further two tries before Vees could pressure their line again.
But despite the pressure, the hosts were unable to penetrate Kilburn’s well organised defence and now find themselves in fourth position, having dropped below their next league opponents London Welsh Amateurs.
You may also want to watch:
Before that game though Verulamians are in cup semi-final action.
They travel to Cheshunt in the Herts Trophy, a match that will be played on Tuesday, April 13 under floodlights.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 6 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 7 Shortages crisis hits district
- 8 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 9 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book