Kerley delivers as Harpenden take Hert
HCPL Division Two East Hertford 117-10 (41.1) Harpenden 118-3 (30.3) HARPENDEN eased to victory against Hertford after a superb bowling display on Saturday at Rothamsted Park. Without top wicket taker Mark Mason, jointly heading the divisional stats
HCPL Division Two East
Hertford 117-10 (41.1) Harpenden 118-3 (30.3)
HARPENDEN eased to victory against Hertford after a superb bowling display on Saturday at Rothamsted Park.
Without top wicket taker Mark Mason, jointly heading the divisional stats with 29 victims at the halfway stage, Harpenden had to look for other chief protagonists.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts won the toss and Hertford were immediately reduced to 1-1 with John Kerley striking thanks to a catch from Will Jones.
Kerley clean bowled the second opener as Hertford fell to 16-2 and they were soon in real trouble at 35-5 with Ben Mahoney claiming one wicket and Mike Howard taking two wickets.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
A run out from young David Keenleyside struck out the dangerous Chris Box (35) and when overseas star Sulaman Qadir chipped in to remove Jack Anderson (29) and Oliver Ray (17) Hertford were all but done.
Kerley returned to take the final wicket and complete superb figures of 4-21 off 15.1 overs with nine maidens. Howard and Qadir each claimed two wickets. Hertford were all out for 117 off 41.1 overs.
In reply, opener Will Jones was the first man out on 25 but had helped Harpenden to 64 and the job was half done. Fellow opener Adam Winchester hit 45 off 91 balls before he was out with the score on 99. Howard (33 not out) and Tom Stewart blasted four off the only ball he faced as Harpenden eased to victory on 118-3 off 30.3 overs.
Harpenden II lost by two wickets to Totteridge Millhillians II in Division Three of the Saracens Herts League on Saturday.
After winning the toss and deciding to bat Harpenden openers Tony Hooper (77) and Graeme Sprowson (67) set a fine platform to push on with a 128-run opening partnership. Unfortunately the rest of the batsmen failed to deliver and Harpenden closed on 191-7.
In reply, TMs got the job done on 192-8 after some good lower order batting rescued them from 114-7. Michael Cooper claimed three wickets for Harpenden and Chris Arnold bagged two wickets.