Kent and Hussain steer Greenwood Park to third consecutive league win
- Credit: Archant
A disciplined innings from Chris Kent was instrumental as Greenwood Park claimed a five-wicket win over Stevenage 4ths – securing a third consecutive league win.
Kent’s 40 not out displayed an excellent maturity that helped his side chase down Stevenage’s total of 137 all out.
The number three’s effort was almost matched by Shafaat Hussain, who scored a quick-fire 32* that included three enormous sixes.
Having won the toss earlier in the day, Greenwood chose to bowl and got an early breakthrough with Hussain bowling Luke Martin for one.
Park continued to find early wickets with Vishal Pujari in particular excelling with the ball.
You may also want to watch:
The fast bowler produced a stunning spell of quick bowling and was unlucky to only finish with figures of 3-25 off his 10 overs.
Despite some late stubborn resistance from Manoj Kumar (34), Greenwood eventually picked off their opponents inside 52 overs.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
Sunni Durrani and Mubarak Zeb claimed two wickets each, Troy Petchey collected one and Hussain provided a superb run-out as Park bowled their opposition out for a fifth time this season.
Although chasing a relatively low total, Greenwood got off to a poor start with four early wickets falling for just 32 runs.
With the game in the balance Kent and Zeb stood firm and put on a solid 53 run partnership to put their side back in control.
When Zeb was out, caught for 27, Hussain came to the crease and showed little sign of pressure with both he and Kent seeing Greenwood home to a valuable 30 points in the Saracens Hertfordshire Cricket League Division Eight B.