Kembo’s contribution is key as London Colney get better of Biggleswade opponents

Kembo Smith scored the winner for London Colney against Biggleswade United. Picture: KARYN HADDON

Kembo Smith scored the winner for London Colney against Biggleswade United. Picture: KARYN HADDON - Credit: Archant

London Colney warmed up for their weekend trip to Welwyn Garden City with a 1-0 win at Biggleswade United in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

The visitors began well and Kambo Smith won a corner, which Laurence Vaughan delivered into the box where it was scrambled clear.

And the Blueboys went close again when Joe Reynolds saw his free-kick gathered at the second attempt by keeper Robbie Ponting, who fumbled the original effort but recovered to deny the lurking Kit Brown as he looked to pounce.

The only goal of the game arrived soon after, though, as Vaughan slipped a through ball into the path of Smith, who shrugged off a defender and drilled a low shot past Ponting and into the net via the inside of the far post.

Biggleswade went close to a reply when a slip at the back by Bobby Armstrong let in Charlie Black, but with only Joe Simmonds to beat he fired high over the crossbar.

Armstrong almost made amends at the other end two minutes later as he timed his run to the far post well to meet another great right-wing free-kick from Reynolds, but flashed a powerful header just past the post.

Vaughan created a couple of chances for himself to send shots goalwards, but Ponting did well to hold on to both attempts.

Most Read

And some excellent link-up play between Brown, Smith and Vaughan saw the latter send over a hard, low cross, where none of his London Colney team-mates could be found to apply the finishing touch.

Biggleswade captain Nick Elliot saw a firm low drive held by Simmonds late in the first half, as Vaughan was thwarted at the other end.

But home substitute Ioannis Varouxakis began to cause a few problems for the Bluehoys after the restart and Black saw his close-range header saved, before Matt Cooper’s point-blank effort was tipped wide by Simmonds.

Varouxakis fired wide with the goal at his mercy and Simmonds saved from Jay Taylor, while Zachary Tyrrell bundled a corner into his own net but was fouled by Dewayne Clarke before Festus Lori sent a last-gasp shot over.

Colney drew 2-2 with Leighton Town on Tuesday, after being two goals up at half time.

Captain Reynolds opened the scoring, lobbing home from 35 yards after a poor clearance by the visiting keeper, and Brown doubled the advantage with a rocket of a strike into the bottom left corner of the net.

But Leighton rallied after the restart to earn a point.