Keenleyside inspires as Harpenden hit four
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Ampthill Town 1 Harpenden Town 4 HARPENDEN Town were looking to build on their two game unbeaten run at Ampthill Town on Saturday. Town gradually worked their way into the game with Jimmy Warner and Dave
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One
Ampthill Town 1 Harpenden Town 4
HARPENDEN Town were looking to build on their two game unbeaten run at Ampthill Town on Saturday.
Town gradually worked their way into the game with Jimmy Warner and Dave Keenleyside looking threatening going forward and it was these two that combined for the opener. Poor defending on the touchline allowed Keenleyside to set up Warner who side stepped the defender before firing into the bottom corner.
Town started the half poorly and Ampthill took advantage of some sloppy play to equalise. Harpenden failed to clear from a corner and the Ampthill winger was given time on the edge of the box to rifle home an unstoppable left-foot drive giving John Gregory no chance.
This seemed to spark Town into life and they went on the attack straight away, winning two corners in quick succession. Substitute Ben Dawes inspired the team with his pace and work rate and gave the Ampthill left back a hard time.
- 1 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 2 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 3 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 4 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 5 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 9 Recap: Rail firm cancels trains due to Herts 'operational issue'
- 10 Woodland access saved by Chiswell Green campaigner
Five minutes later and Town were back in front. An Ian Shaw throw in was worked into the box via Chris Gregory and Warner and the half-clearance fell to Keenleyside who drilled home a left-foot volley into the far right corner.
Town were buzzing and upped there game further, looking to kill the game off with a third. A break down the left side culminated in Ben Dawes smashing home at the far post putting the game beyond doubt.
Ampthill huffed and puffed but were lacking a decent final ball. Town were starting to relax and were enjoying their afternoon which got better when, from a corner, Iaian Turkentine leathered home the loose ball with a great left-foot strike for 4-1.
Harpenden Town: J. Gregory, Shaw, Ross, Saul (c), Armitage, Bates, Jefferies, Turkentine, Keenleyside, C Gregory, Warner. Subs Used: Dawes, Burgess, Roe. Unused sub: Doonan.