MICHAEL Kaye, who has died aged 75 at Harpenden, had been a member of golf clubs in his native Yorkshire, in Surrey and in Herts, where, as well as membership of Verulam and Harpenden clubs
MICHAEL Kaye, who has died aged 75 at Harpenden, had been a member of golf clubs in his native Yorkshire, in Surrey and in Herts, where, as well as membership of Verulam and Harpenden clubs, he became a committee member and treasurer of the Herts Golf Union.
Educated at Giggleswick School, cricket was his first sporting love, playing for the Leeds club as a wicketkeeper and occasionally for Yorkshire second XI.
He became a member of Moortown Golf Club in Leeds and it was at the Bradford club that golf brought romance into his life when he met Hilary Williamson from Surrey, who as lady captain of the South East Junior Golfing Society, was in a match there, and they married in 1960.
He qualified as a chartered accountant and moved south to Surrey, working for building specialists in London, and joining Kingswood and Walton Heath golf clubs. He joined Laings the builders, and moved to Hertfordshire, living in Leverstock Green. He and his wife joined Verulam, where he won the club championship, his lowest handicap being two.
You may also want to watch:
In 1971 he was appointed chief accountant for Burtons the tailors in Leeds and it was back to Yorkshire, where as well as Moortown, he also joined the Ilkley club. Seven years later, Burtons moved to London and the Kaye family, with a son and two daughters, moved to Harpenden, all the family joining Harpenden Golf Club, where he became treasurer and captain in l977-78. In the 1990s he was finance director for Mary Quant in London. He was also a member of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews and of the MCC.
His wife Hilary, a county player for Surrey, Hertfordshire and Yorkshire, has won the Herts Ladies Championship five times.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
A thanksgiving service for Michael Kaye, a Yorkshireman to the core, was held at St. John's Church, Harpenden, attended by representatives of every sporting and business organisation with which he had been connected.