Joy for Harpenden youngsters as victory in dramatic game takes them to national semi-final
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Rugby Club’s U15 girls provided much celebration as they moved into the semi-finals of a national tournament.
The girls made the trip to Hampshire to play Ellingham & Ringwood in the Area Two Cup final.
And after a see-saw game they came out on top after a 27-27 draw, claiming passage after scoring more tries than their hosts.
It was a nerve-wracking end as they waited for confirmation from the rule book but the management were ultimately delighted at their team’s effort.
They said: “The girls showed utmost respect throughout for their opponents who understandably were upset at the end by the loss: our girls accepted their victory with dignity and grace.
You may also want to watch:
“There were numerous individual performances of note but this is a squad game and all the girls put in a shift to get us across the line.”
They will now play at Royal Wootton Bassett on April 15.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 6 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 9 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 10 Defibrillators: How you could save a life