Joy for Harpenden youngsters as victory in dramatic game takes them to national semi-final
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Rugby Club’s U15 girls provided much celebration as they moved into the semi-finals of a national tournament.
The girls made the trip to Hampshire to play Ellingham & Ringwood in the Area Two Cup final.
And after a see-saw game they came out on top after a 27-27 draw, claiming passage after scoring more tries than their hosts.
It was a nerve-wracking end as they waited for confirmation from the rule book but the management were ultimately delighted at their team’s effort.
They said: “The girls showed utmost respect throughout for their opponents who understandably were upset at the end by the loss: our girls accepted their victory with dignity and grace.
You may also want to watch:
“There were numerous individual performances of note but this is a squad game and all the girls put in a shift to get us across the line.”
They will now play at Royal Wootton Bassett on April 15.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 5 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 6 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 7 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Shortages crisis hits district