Jose Sosa hits a home run on his ‘rest day’
- Credit: Archant
Jose Sosa gave his arm a rest on Sunday but still had a say in the Herts Falcons’ 15-1 win over South London Pirates.
The left-hander, who is 3-0 this season with 21 strikeouts in 19 innings of work, hit a home run and went 4-for-2 with three runs batted in (RBI) in the second game of the weekend’s double-header.
Falcons won the first game 18-4.
In his place, Robbie Almanzar and Michael Osborn earned the wins on the mound.
It was a near-perfect day for the Falcons who are game behind the London Mets in the National Baseball League.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Cornish and Sosa blasted their first homers of the season to take the total number of Falcons to clear the home run wall to seven. Moises Vasquez came close to being the eighth home run hitter when his shot bounced off the top railing.
There was no home run from record-chasing, Maikel Azcuy, though.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
Herts fans also had an unexpected surprise when two-time NBL Most Valuable Player Ryan Bird made the trip from the USA for his first game for the Falcons since 6 April 2014. He picked up where he left off, batting 2-for-3 with two runs and an RBI.
The Herts Falcons next game is at home against the Bracknell Blazers on May 31. It is expected to be a difficult game after the Blazers came close to beating the table-topping Mets.
In the other leagues, the Herts Eagles were involved in a closely-fought game with the Essex Redbacks. They lost the first game 6-4, but bounced back to win the second 4-2. This pushes them up one place into sixth position in the Triple-A League standings.
In the Single-A League, the Herts Raptors loaded the bases in the final inning against the Brighton Redhawks which put the tying run on second base and the go-ahead run on first base, but their late rally ended there with the score 18-20.
They is the only Herts team in action this Sunday as the Raptors go on the road again searching for their first win of the season, this time against the Guildford Mavericks.