Jose Mourinho signed top up for grabs at St Albans City gala-dinner-dance auction
TOP Premier League referee Mark Halsey - a former St Albans City player - has come to the Saints’ aid, thanks to his friendship with Jose Mourinho.
Halsey is one of the speakers at City’s gala dinner-dance at Sopwell House on Thursday, May 10, along with Arsenal and England legend Tony Adams and celebrated Sky Sports interviewer Geoff Shreeves, a St Albans resident.
And Halsey - who was a goalkeeper with City back in the 1982/83 season - has also donated an exclusive auction item for the evening in the shape of a Real Madrid training top owned by Mourinho, with the initials JM on the front and signed by the former Chelsea manager.
“Mark seems to be about the only referee that Mourinho has ever got on with and when Mark was in Madrid for the Champions League semi-final against Bayern Munich last week, he got Jose to donate and sign the hooded training top,” explained Saints chairman Ian Ridley.
“It is a real coup and I hope the bidding at our dinner will reflect just what an exclusive item it is.
You may also want to watch:
“Mark is doing the club an amazing favour by coming to the dinner, as are Tony Adams and Geoff Shreeves. With them speaking and the other auction and raffle items we have, as well as dancing to top local band The Push, we hope it will be a great night and raise a good sum for the club.”
Among the other auction items on the night will be a hospitality box at the Emirates Stadium for 16 people for an Arsenal game and two tickets, with back-stage hospitality, for the recording of the hit BBC TV comedy quiz Have I Got News For You.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 6 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 9 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
In addition, there will be the chance to bid to appear for Saints in a pre-season friendly at Clarence Park, alongside the first team.
The lucky winner will get to be on the bench and make a late appearance on the pitch.
Tickets for the dinner can be obtained from Cerco Communications via email at email@example.com or by calling 01727 847407.