Jones walks away from crash at Cadwell Park
- Credit: Archant
St Albans racer Alex Jones walked away from a crash in practice at Cadwell Park to compete in the third round of the Formula Vee Championship.
The 22-year-old hit the tyre wall after coming off the Lincolnshire circuit.
“It was going well until I came out of Park corner; I took too much of the outside kerb and it unsettled the car. Going into Chris Curve, I missed the apex and it sent me wide. At the last moment, I got some understeer and it sent me onto the grass. From then on, I was a passenger and violently hit the tyre barriers,” he said.
Jones was taken by ambulance to the medical centre with suspected tissue damage but walked away ‘scot free’.
Still, the car needed extensive repair, which, remarkably, his team was able to do and he was back on track for qualifying. He only managed one lap, however, and started race near the back of the grid.
Despite the set-back, Jones brought the car home in 12th during a red-flagged affected race.
In race two, Jones started right at the back in 23rd. He quickly repeated his performance from race one and got up to 14th but spun the car and dropped back down the standings, eventually finishing in 18th,
- 1 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard as garages catch fire in village near St Albans
- 3 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 4 Man breaks ankle during 'assault' in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 7 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 8 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 9 Kaiser Chiefs to perform extra show at Pub in the Park 2022 in St Albans
- 10 St Albans Striders brave the heat to tackle numerous races
“It was an enjoyable weekend,” he said. “I love the track layout of Cadwell and it definitely rewards you if you don’t put a foot wrong. Despite everything, it was a good weekend.”
Jones is missing the next round but is hoping to be at Silverstone on August 23 to resume his Formula Vee campaign.