Jones walks away from crash at Cadwell Park
- Credit: Archant
St Albans racer Alex Jones walked away from a crash in practice at Cadwell Park to compete in the third round of the Formula Vee Championship.
The 22-year-old hit the tyre wall after coming off the Lincolnshire circuit.
“It was going well until I came out of Park corner; I took too much of the outside kerb and it unsettled the car. Going into Chris Curve, I missed the apex and it sent me wide. At the last moment, I got some understeer and it sent me onto the grass. From then on, I was a passenger and violently hit the tyre barriers,” he said.
Jones was taken by ambulance to the medical centre with suspected tissue damage but walked away ‘scot free’.
Still, the car needed extensive repair, which, remarkably, his team was able to do and he was back on track for qualifying. He only managed one lap, however, and started race near the back of the grid.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the set-back, Jones brought the car home in 12th during a red-flagged affected race.
In race two, Jones started right at the back in 23rd. He quickly repeated his performance from race one and got up to 14th but spun the car and dropped back down the standings, eventually finishing in 18th,
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
“It was an enjoyable weekend,” he said. “I love the track layout of Cadwell and it definitely rewards you if you don’t put a foot wrong. Despite everything, it was a good weekend.”
Jones is missing the next round but is hoping to be at Silverstone on August 23 to resume his Formula Vee campaign.