Jones smashes Harpenden to T20 victory
- Credit: Archant
Will Jones smashed Harpenden to their first Readers Cup T20 win as his 31-ball 45 saw them surpass Hertford’s total.
Harpenden lost their opening game to Sawbridgeworth but they bounced back on Sunday at the Common.
Having been asked to field first, Scott Galloway took a wicket with his second ball as Michael Bailey was caught by Jack Doyle. His opening partner, Steve Gale, refused to give up his wicket so easily.
In a 44-ball stay at the crease, Gale hit two sixes and a four as he put 41 runs on the board. His innings outlasted Jack Anderson (2) and Oliver Ray (13) but he finally succumbed to a delivery from Galloway, which he holed out to Jones.
After the key wicket of Gale, Hertford’s innings quickly disintegrated as Adam Carlson (12), Chris Cook (6) and Scott Ruskin (2) fell by the wayside. Only Will Bancroft, who hit a 15-ball 23, stood up to the attack as he helped set a total of 111 from 20 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden’s reply got off to a bad start as Jake Pankhurst (9), James Latham (0), Gregg Cooper (6) and Mike Howard (3) fell in the third, fourth, fifth and seventh overs respectively.
Howard’s dismissal brought Jones to the crease and together with Galloway (28) he added 18 runs of a 41-run partnership. When Galloway was caught, Simon White (11*) joined Jones, who hit four sixes, and the pair saw out the match with seven balls to spare.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans