Jonathan Edwards strikes gold for St Albans in huge win over Maidenhead

Jonathan Edwards scores the Saints third goal of the evening. Picture: LEIGH PAGE

Jonathan Edwards scores the Saints third goal of the evening. Picture: LEIGH PAGE - Credit: Archant

Jonathan Edwards hop, skipped and jumped his way round Clarence Park after a beautiful curling shot on 90 minutes gave City a huge win.

Jernade Meade and Ben Martin twice put City into a first-half lead. But twice Maidenhead United came back before the on-loan Peterborough striker supplied the coup de grace on a 3-2 win.

It continued caretaker manager Harry Wheeler’s unbeaten run since taking over at the end of November.

The result also lifts City out of the relegation zone in the Vanarama National League South.

As starts go this was almost perfection and it came from an unlikely source.

A free kick from the right was played in by Billy Gibson and headed home by Meade, the smallest man on the pitch, just 66 seconds into the game.

The visitors soon got over that shock and were appealing for a penalty on 14 minutes.

Most Read

At first glance it looked a nailed on penalty as Benn Nunn’s hands were raised but the referee waved play-on to the obvious anger of Magpies boss, the former West Ham midfielder, Alan Devonshire.

His mood softened five minutes later as Ben Inman rose highest to head home from a right-wing corner.

It was the same move which put City back in front, Gibson’s right-sided corner thumped home by the head of Martin.

But United came back with the fourth headed goal of the game, Dave Tarpey finishing off a quick break.

In between Meade should have made it three but he took a fraction too long and Carl Pentney blocked his close-range effort.

And Jack Green was also guilty of taking too long in the lead-up to Martin’s goal, choosing to pass when a shot seemed the better choice.

Maidenhead had the first effort at goal in the second half when Jake Reid crashed a Tarpey cross off the bar.

Chances though were at a premium and it wasn’t until tiredness became a factor that space opened up.

Ryan Upward lived up to his name as he blazed over while Edwards, who arrived from the bench on 75 minutes, was just wide with a low drive.

The game looked to be heading to a draw until Edwards’ run and shot lit up a rain drenched Clarence Park.

And judging by the reaction at the end, there may be a renewed sense of optimism growing among Saints fans.

St Albans: Welch, Nunn, Bender, Corcoran, Martin, Oshodi, Chappell, Green, Theophanous (Edwards 75), Meade (Thomas 90+1), Gibson (Krans 66)

Subs not used: Locke, Sow

Goals: Meade 2, Martin 41, Edwards 90

Maidenhead: Pentney, Huggins (James 62), Pritchard, Upward, Massey, Inman, Tarpey, Smith, Reid, Nisbet, Mulley

Subs not used: Barratt, Wright, Wiltshire, Olorhnfemi

Goals: Inman 19, Mulley 44

Att: 287