John Frendo talks to the Herts Ad after signing for St Albans
- Credit: Archant
ST ALBANS CITY FC has made a clear statement of intention by signing last season’s Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division top scorer John Frendo.
The prolific 28-year-old joins the Saints after three years at Hitchin Town where he scored over 100 goals, including 44 in 48 games last season, and looks set to join Greg Ngoyi up front in what will form one of the most formidable strike partnerships in the league.
Frendo became a hot commodity after winning the Golden Boot at the National Game Awards and reportedly received interest from Conference side Dartford and turned down a record contract at Hitchin before signing a one-year deal to play at Clarence Park.
Joint manager James Gray said: “It goes without saying that John will be a fantastic addition to the squad. We are delighted to have the leading goalscorer in non-league football in our team.
“He has superb technique and is an impressive signing for us.”
You may also want to watch:
The man himself was equally delighted to finally put pen to paper and end the speculation that has surrounded his career over recent weeks.
“I had a few teams interested but I’m glad it’s over. Now I can concentrate on my football,” he told the Herts Ad.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 9 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 10 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
“The interest [from higher clubs] was there but nothing came of it. Teams were waiting to see what other players they could sign and I was getting a lot of pressure from other clubs to make a decision.”
Frendo finally made his decision on Monday and admitted Gray, and the slew of summer signings, helped make his mind up.
“In the end I went with St Albans because they have the potential to get promoted. I want to play at a higher level and if no higher team gives you an offer then you have to get promoted – that’s why I chose St Albans. The potential is there,” he said.
“I know [James Gray] from playing against him and I like what he said about where the club is headed. He is a winner like me and he knows what it takes to get out of this league.
““Promotion is the main aim but, personally, if I can get anywhere near last year then that would be brilliant.”
Frendo is the latest signing in a summer of activity for the Saints.
The club welcomed back former players Paul Bastock, who will replace the departed goalkeeper Nick Jupp, and Ben Martin as well as Lee Chappell, Chris O’Leary and Darren Locke, all from Wealdstone.
City has also given new contracts to youth products Elliot Bailey, Matt Taylor and James Kaloczi as well as last year’s captain James Comley, and retained the services of Player of the Year Richard Graham and Ryan Wharton.
The video above shows Frendo scoring his 99th goal for Hitchin Town.